Fire Safety Information
Do you have home fire hazard questions? Call Waxahachie Fire-Rescue @ 469-309-4200
- Are matches and cigarette lighters kept out of reach of children?
- Are ashtrays designed with a cigarette rest in the center so cigarette ashes will fall inside the ashtray and not on the floor?
- Never smoke in bed.
- Is there an excessive amount of accumulated trash?
- Are any flammable and combustible liquids such as gasoline, charcoal lighter fluid, paint thinner, etc., stored in approved non-glass containers?
- Are aerosol cans stored away from heat?
- Are oily rags kept in metal cans with tight fitting covers?
Heating and Cooking Appliances
- Are return air filters checked and replaced or cleaned regularly?
- Gas smell? Call Atmos Energy or the Fire Department.
- Does the kitchen vent hood have a clean filter?
- Turn pot handles away from the front of the stove.
- Do you know how to properly extinguish cooking fire?
- No cooking food should ever be left unattended.
- Does the kitchen vent hood pipe extend completely through the roof?
- Is the heating unit properly vented? If not, you may experience headaches and nausea or death from carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Are your permanently mounted heating units, floor, and wall central inspected annually for safety?
- Is the return air plenum clean?
- Does the fireplace have a screen?
- Does the fireplace/chimney need to be repaired or cleaned? Chimneys should be cleaned annually.
- Have you had your fireplace inspected for safety?
- Are fireplace and BBQ ashes kept in metal cans and soaked in water before disposal?
- Do not use gasoline to start fires in a fireplace or BBQ.
- Electric space heaters should be plugged directly into a wall outlet and not to extension cords.
- No combustibles near space heaters.
- Are BBQ grills, smokers, etc. used only when ten feet from structures?
- Is there anything that will burn stored in central heat or water heater closet?
- Is the gas water heater vented properly through roof?
- Is the clothes dryer vented to the outside?
- Is the clothes dryer clean of accumulations of dust, lint, trash, both under and behind it?
- Are outlets overloaded, more than two appliances per wall outlet?
- Are all electrical covers in place?
- Are electrical cords damaged (frayed cords, exposed conductors, cuts)?
- Are electrical cords run under rugs or carpet, through doorways, or where they can be damaged?
- Are extension cords, when used, of proper size? Are they three-prong, grounded units? Circuit breaker protected strips and surge protectors are recommended. Avoid all 2-prong extension cords.
- Are tree limbs in your electrical lines? Call TXU Electric.
- Are pool/spa chemicals separated from all other storage and away from all electrical equipment and contaminants such as oil, grease, gasoline, etc.?
- Is the access hole to the attic kept covered?
- Is there a U.L. listed above ABC fire extinguisher properly mounted in the house where easily accessible? Do you know how to use it?
- Is the fire extinguisher new or inspected by a licensed company annually?
- Are there enough, properly mounted, working, smoke detectors inside and outside each bedroom and on every level of your home?
- Are smoke detectors tested once a month? Are the batteries changed each year?
- Are home fire drills held? Does your family know 2 ways out and where to meet in case of fire?
- Is there an address visible from the street or fire lane?
- Have you visited a local fire station recently?
- Are your smoke detectors over 10 years old? If so, they need to be replaced.
- Is the number for 911 posted near a phone?
- Are all doors and halls clear of obstructions?