After the Fire Checklist

After the Fire Checklist
A fire in your home or business can be one of the most tragic events you ever experience. The fire is out, and now you must try to get back to life as usual...  

About Our Job:
  • Any windows that were broken, and any holes cut in the roof were for ventilation. Proper ventilation techniques used by fire fighters reduce horizontal fire spread in a building, and greatly reduce smoke and heat damage.
  • Openings in walls and ceilings are to insure that the fire is completely out. Any hidden embers could reignite later.
  • It is sometimes necessary to disconnect utilities to prevent further damage and to insure the safety of fire fighters.
  • If tarps have been thrown over your possessions, it was to protect them from water and debris. The tarps need to be picked up by the Fire Department as soon as possible to be ready for use again.
  • City codes require the investigation of all fires that harm people or damage property. The Fire Investigator must make a preliminary determination of the cause before the fire area can be disturbed.
  If Your Property is covered by Insurance:
  • Notify your insurance agent as soon as possible. 
  • If you are unable to reach your insurance agent or company, most policies require you to have your home secured against vandalism and looting.
  • Some policies allow advanced funds for your family to find lodging. 
  • If possible, do not disturb or remove any items before the insurance adjuster arrives.
  • You need to keep receipts for all expenditures.
  • If you are a tenant, contact the resident manager, the owner, or the owner's insurance agent. It is the owner's responsibility to prevent further loss to the site. 
  • Be sure that your personal belongings are secure either within the building or by moving them to another location. 
  • Contact your own insurance agent to report the loss. The property owner's insurance, in most cases, will not cover the loss of your personal belongings.
  • In some cases, the portion of your fire loss not covered by insurance may be tax deductible from your federal income tax. For information call the IRS or your tax preparer.
Obtaining a Copy of your fire report:
  • The Fire Department will make a report of all fires.
  • A copy of this report may be required by your insurance company.
  • In most cases, the report is available by 10:00 a.m. on the weekday following the fire. Large complex incidents may require more time to prepare the report and make it available to the owner.
  • You can obtain a copy of the report by calling the Fire Administration office at 469-309-4200.
  If Your Property is not covered by Insurance:
  • Emergency assistance, including temporary shelter, food, clothing, eye glasses, and medicine is available through the American Red Cross and Salvation Army.
  • When the fire has not been severe, preliminary clean-up should begin as soon as the Fire Department gives permission. Considerable damage to your belongings can be minimized this way.
  • When entering the building watch for structural damage caused by the fire. Roofs and floors may be weakened and the ceilings may fall.
  • Fire can rekindle from hidden, smoldering remains. Be watchful for signs of heat or smoke.
  • Household wiring which may have been water damaged should be checked by an electrician before the electricity is turned back on.
  • Do not attempt to restore electric or gas service that has been disconnected to appliances or to the building. Service may be restored only by a representative of the Utility Company.
  • It is not permissible to make repairs without permits and inspections by Waxahachie Building Inspectors. Inspections are also required before utility companies can restore service.
  • When practical, fire fighters will have done some clean-up in residential properties. Due to the size of most commercial buildings, clean-up assistance from fire fighters is not possible. Equipment such as water vacuums can be rented from some companies listed in the phone book under Rental Service Stores.
Saving Your Belongings:
  • Open windows to minimize smoke odors.
  • Remove all undamaged jewelry, silver, artwork, etc.
  • Contractors who specialize in fire restoration and clean-up, as well as companies who specialize in cleaning fabrics can be found in the yellow pages under the listing Fire & Water Damage Restoration.
  • Commercial laundering/dry cleaning can help remove soot and smoke odor from clothing.
  • Mop floors as soon as possible. Rugs and carpet padding should be taken up and allowed to thoroughly dry.
  • If temperature is below freezing, and the heat is off, a plumber should be called to winterize your plumbing.
  • Do not use TVs or other appliances that have been exposed to heat, until they are checked by a serviceman.
  • Change your filter in your furnace.
  • Do not use food or canned goods that have been exposed to heat.
  • If electric service has been disconnected, have your frozen foods placed in a freezer with 24 hours.
  Monetary Replacement:
  • Mutilated or melted coins are returnable at the nearest Federal Reserve Bank, or they may be sent by first class registered mail to: Superintendent, U.S. Assay Office, 32 Old Slip, New York, N.Y. 10005.
  • Currency, half or more intact, should be taken to the Federal Reserve Bank or mailed as above, to: U.S. Treasury Department, Main Treasury Building 1123, Washington, D.C. 20220
  • Any mutilated or destroyed bonds are handled by: U.S. Treasury Department, Bureau of Public Debt, Division of Loans and Currency, 537 S. Clark St., Chicago, IL 60605, Attn: Bond Consultant. Include name(s) and address(es) on bonds, approximate date or time period purchased, denominations and approximate number of each.
Documents and Records:
  • AFDC and welfare clients should notify case workers if their ID cards have been destroyed. 
  • Copies of birth, death, and marriage records can be obtained from the District Court Clerk in the county of birth, death, or marriage.
  Leaving Your Home:
  • Contact the City of Waxahachie to request patrol units in your neighborhood.
  • Local relief services, like the American Red Cross and Salvation Army, should be able to help you with temporary housing.
Try to locate and take the following items with you:
  • Identification
  • Vital medicines such as insulin or blood pressure regulating drugs
  • Eyeglasses, hearing aids, prosthetic devices or other personal aids.
  • Valuables such as credit cards, checkbooks, insurance policies, savings account books, money, and jewelry.
  Notify the following parties of your relocation:
  • Your insurance agent or adjuster
  • Your mortgage company (also inform them of the fire)
  • Your employer
  • Family, friends, and neighbors
  • Your children's school(s)
  • Your post office
  • Delivery services, such as newspapers
Additional Questions: Your disaster relief service case worker, Waxahachie Fire-Rescue, or your insurance agent will help you with the many questions you will have in the coming days. In the meantime:
  • Do not throw away any damaged goods until after an inventory is made. All damages are taken into consideration in developing your insurance claim.
  • Do not contract for an estimate, inventory or repair services without first consulting your insurance agent or adjuster.
  • If you feel that the amount of money offered by your insurance company to pay for your loss is not fair, you have several courses of action:
  1. You can ask that the loss be evaluated by appraisers who do not work for your insurance company
  2. You can hire an attorney to represent your best interests.
  3. You can file a complaint with the Texas Department of Insurance.
Helpful Phone Numbers: Do not feel that you will be left on your own when the Fire Department leaves. Assistance is available from a number of agencies. Below lists telephone numbers for some of these organizations.

Public Assistance Agencies                                                               
The American Red Cross 214-678-4800                                    
Salvation Army 972-937-0509                                                         

City of Waxahachie Offices                                                               
Fire Marshal's Office 469-309-4203                                            
Police (Non-Emergency Number) 469-309-4410                
Fire (Non-Emergency Number) 469-309-4200                     

Oncor 800-491-9494
Atmos Gas 866-322-8667

Internal Revenue Service 800-829-1040
Texas Department of Insurance 800-252-3439
Better Business Bureau 214-220-2000