Zoning Board of Adjustments
The ZBA has the authority to exercise the following powers and perform the following duties:
- Hear and decide an appeal that alleges error in an order, requirement, decision, or determination made by an administrative official in the enforcement of the City’s Zoning Ordinance;
- Authorize the expansion or continuation of a nonconforming structure; and
- Authorize in specific cases a variance from Zoning Ordinance if the variance is not contrary to the public interest and, due to special conditions, a literal enforcement of the ordinance would result in unnecessary hardship, and so that the spirit of this Ordinance is observed and substantial justice is done.
- That literal enforcement of the controls will create an unnecessary hardship or practical difficulty in the development of the affected property;
- That the situation causing the hardship or difficulty is neither self-imposed nor generally affecting all or most properties in the same zoning district;
- That the relief sought will not injure the permitted use of adjacent conforming property; and
- That the granting of a variance will be in harmony with the spirit and purpose of these regulations.