Fire Safety Information

Fire Safety Information
Household Hazards
  •  Are matches and cigarette lighters kept out of reach of children?
  • Are ashtrays designed with a cigarette rest in the center so cigarette ashes will fall inside the ashtray and not on the floor?
  • Never smoke in bed.
  • Is there an excessive amount of accumulated trash?
  • Are any flammable and combustible liquids such as gasoline, charcoal lighter fluid, paint thinner, etc., stored in approved non-glass containers?
  • Are aerosol cans stored away from heat?
  • Are oily rags kept in metal cans with tight fitting covers?

    Heating and Cooking Appliances
  • Are return air filters checked and replaced or cleaned regularly?
  • Gas smell? Call Atmos Energy or the Fire Department.
  • Does the kitchen vent hood have a clean filter?
  • Turn pot handles away from the front of the stove.
  • Do you know how to properly extinguish cooking fire?
  • No cooking food should ever be left unattended.
  • Does the kitchen vent hood pipe extend completely through the roof?
  • Is the heating unit properly vented? If not, you may experience headaches and nausea or death from carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Are your permanently mounted heating units, floor, and wall central inspected annually for safety?
  • Is the return air plenum clean?
  • Does the fireplace have a screen?
  • Does the fireplace/chimney need to be repaired or cleaned?  Chimneys should be cleaned annually.
  • Have you had your fireplace inspected for safety?
  • Are fireplace and BBQ ashes kept in metal cans and soaked in water before disposal?
  • Do not use gasoline to start fires in a fireplace or BBQ.
  • Electric space heaters should be plugged directly into a wall outlet and not to extension cords.
  • No combustibles near space heaters.
  • Are BBQ grills, smokers, etc. used only when ten feet from structures?
  • Is there anything that will burn stored in central heat or water heater closet?
  • Is the gas water heater vented properly through roof?
  • Is the clothes dryer vented to the outside?
  • Is the clothes dryer clean of accumulations of dust, lint, trash, both under and behind it?

  • Are outlets overloaded, more than two appliances per wall outlet?
  • Are all electrical covers in place?
  • Are electrical cords damaged (frayed cords, exposed conductors, cuts)?
  • Are electrical cords run under rugs or carpet, through doorways, or where they can be damaged?
  • Are extension cords, when used, of proper size? Are they three-prong, grounded units? Circuit breaker protected strips and surge protectors are recommended. Avoid all 2-prong extension cords.
  • Are tree limbs in your electrical lines? Call TXU Electric.

  • Are pool/spa chemicals separated from all other storage and away from all electrical equipment and contaminants such as oil, grease, gasoline, etc.?
  • Is the access hole to the attic kept covered?
  • Is there a U.L. listed above ABC fire extinguisher properly mounted in the house where easily accessible? Do you know how to use it?
  • Is the fire extinguisher new or inspected by a licensed company annually?
  • Are there enough, properly mounted, working, smoke detectors inside and outside each bedroom and on every level of your home?
  • Are smoke detectors tested once a month? Are the batteries changed each year?
  • Are home fire drills held? Does your family know 2 ways out and where to meet in case of fire?
  • Is there an address visible from the street or fire lane?
  • Have you visited a local fire station recently?
  • Are your smoke detectors over 10 years old? If so, they need to be replaced.
  • Is the number for 911 posted near a phone?
  • Are all doors and halls clear of obstructions?
Do you have home fire hazard questions? Call Waxahachie Fire-Rescue @ 469-309-4200